Monday 6 July 2015

She Walks in the Flowers


This is my second Guest DT piece for That's Crafty over on the That's Blogging Crafty blog.



I chose a canvas board rather than a frame canvas as it is easier to apply texture through a stencil on board and I’m all for an easy life.  Although the board is pre-gessoed I added more Gesso as I knew I would be adding lots of water and wanted to protect the board

When the gesso was dry I stamped the Stampendous Glance stamp onto the canvas board with Archival black, I did not want the “hair” on the stamp to govern what I wanted to do so I left that area unlinked. I then masked it. I love this stamp as it’s size means it can be used on a range of sizes including large ones like this canvas.  It also means someone else does the face drawing for me, not my strength!  

I added flowers using texture paste through the Paper ArstyLin Brown Stencil moving the stencil around till the board was covered and left it to dry.

I coloured my flowers with various colours of Gellato then spritzed them with water and smooshed the colour with my finger.  If you are not a finger painter using a brush is fine.  Leave to dry and apply a fixative.  Be especially  careful mixing between cool (blue, green, purple) colours and  warm (yellow, red, orange, pink) colours as this can create mud, if unsure stick to just cool or just warm colours.

I used the Pitt Big Brush pens to add shading to the petals and the white Sharpie pen to add some highlights.

I coloured the face using a mix of Gelatoes  and Pitt Big Brush Pens and redefined  the features with a Fude Pen.

I added extra texture paste to the hair with a credit card and painted it with the DecoArt Media paints.

Final touches were to edge with the Ranger Acrylic Paint Dabber in Black Tie and with some watered down black paint flick splashes of black across the canvas.

2 comments:

  1. Really great to have you with us Moira and love your colourful canvas and the way you've done her hair is fabulous.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete